These are the most requested DIYs at the shop!
We recommend citric acid as the base of your cleaning routine. Why? It reduces plastic waste (shipped in paper bags), more effective clean, and less corrosive than vinegar.
All Purpose Cleaner: using citric acid
- Mix 1 tsp citric acid with 1 cup (8oz) warm water in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of your favorite EO. Really tough limescale or grime? Double the citric acid.
- This cleaner is meant to be made and used at the same time. It's best to empty the bottle after a few days.
- Do not use citric acid or vinegar on wood or natural stone (unsealed).
All Purpose Cleaner: using ethyl alcohol
- Add 2oz of ethyl alcohol (may also use vodka or rubbing alcohol) into a spray bottle.
- Fill with water and 2-3 drops of regular dish washing liquid.
- Shake before use.
- Flush some hot water down the drain.
- Funnel ½ cup baking soda into your drain, follow with ¼ citric acid AND ¼ cup hot water.
- Wait at least 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on the clog.
- Flush with a pot or two of hot water
Citrus Soft Scrub Cleaner: Great for tubs and tiles
- Combine 2 tbsps liquid castile soap, 3/4 cup baking soda, 10 drops of lemon, grapefruit, or tea tree essential oil, and just enough water to make a smooth paste (1-3 tbsps).
- Mix until smooth then transfer to container of choice (mason jar or repurpose a squeezable shampoo or ketchup bottle.
- Squirt a small amount on a damp sponge/ scrub brush or dip the sponge/ cloth into the mixture and massage onto surface. Add more as needed and rinse surface well with warm water.
- Mixture can be stored for up to a year at room temperature in an airtight container of your choice.
Mirror + Tap Cleaner
- Add 4-6oz of ethyl alcohol to a 16oz spray bottle. Fill with water and shake before use.
Washing Machine Cleaner
- Run an empty hot wash with 1 cup of citric acid to remove limescale every few months.
- Great for removing limescale and gunk.
Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil to the bowl.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsps baking soda and 1 tbsp citric acid in the bowl.
- Let the powders fizz and sit for 5-10 minutes. Clean with brush and flush.
- Add one or two capfuls of hydrogen peroxide for tough stains.
- Add 2 tsp citric acid and 1 tsp of baking soda to your dishwasher and run on a hot cycle every other month.
Kitchen Garburator Cleaner (Garbage Disposal): Plumber Approved
- Sprinkle course salt or sea salt into the disposal.
- Add ice cubes and a few leftover lemon wedges or peels to fill the disposal.
- The salt and ice scrub the gunk from underneath the blades and keep the blades sharp. Adding citrus peels will neutralize the odors leaving your sick smelling lemony fresh!
- Turn on the COLD water (never use hot water for cleaning the disposal) and run the garbage disposal until all the ice is gone.
Espresso Machine Homemade Descaling Mixture
- Fill water reservoir with a solution of 32oz (1 quart) water and stir until dissolved.
- Run descaling program. Repeat if necessary.
- Run with fresh water once descaling is complete.