These are the most requested DIYs at the shop!
All Purpose Cleaner: using citric acid
- Mix 1 tsp citric acid with 1 cup (8oz) warm water in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of your favorite EO. Really tough limescale or grime? Double the citric acid.
- This cleaner is meant to be made and used at the same time. It's best to empty the bottle after a few days.
- Do not use citric acid or vinegar on wood or natural stone (unsealed).
All Purpose Cleaner: using ethyl alcohol
- Add 2oz of ethyl alcohol (may also use vodka or rubbing alcohol) into a spray bottle.
- Fill with water and 2-3 drops of regular dish washing liquid.
- Shake before use.
- Flush some hot water down the drain.
- Funnel ½ cup baking soda into your drain, follow with ¼ citric acid AND ¼ cup hot water.
- Wait at least 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on the clog.
- Flush with a pot or two of hot water
Citrus Soft Scrub Cleaner: Great for tubs and tiles
- Combine 2 tbsps liquid castile soap, 3/4 cup baking soda, 10 drops of lemon, grapefruit, or tea tree essential oil, and just enough water to make a smooth paste (1-3 tbsps).
- Mix until smooth then transfer to container of choice (mason jar or repurpose a squeezable shampoo or ketchup bottle.
- Squirt a small amount on a damp sponge/ scrub brush or dip the sponge/ cloth into the mixture and massage onto surface. Add more as needed and rinse surface well with warm water.
- Mixture can be stored for up to a year at room temperature in an airtight container of your choice.
Mirror + Tap Cleaner
- Add 4-6oz of ethyl alcohol to a 16oz spray bottle. Fill with water and shake before use.
Washing Machine Cleaner
- Run an empty hot wash with 1 cup of citric acid to remove limescale every few months.
- Great for removing limescale and gunk.
Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil to the bowl.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsps baking soda and 1 tbsp citric acid in the bowl.
- Let the powders fizz and sit for 5-10 minutes. Clean with brush and flush.
- Add 2 tsp citric acid and 1 tsp of baking soda to your dishwasher and run on a hot cycle every other month.
Kitchen Garburator Cleaner (Garbage Disposal): Plumber Approved
- Sprinkle course salt or sea salt into the disposal.
- Add ice cubes and a few leftover lemon wedges or peels to fill the disposal.
- The salt and ice scrub the gunk from underneath the blades and keep the blades sharp. Adding citrus peels will neutralize the odors leaving your sick smelling lemony fresh!
- Turn on the COLD water (never use hot water for cleaning the disposal) and run the garbage disposal until all the ice is gone.
Espresso Machine Homemade Descaling Mixture
- Fill water reservoir with a solution of 32oz (1 quart) water and stir until dissolved.
- Run descaling program. Repeat if necessary.
- Run with fresh water once descaling is complete.